Tuesday 21 January 2014

Louiz's Rojak Roast Chicken


Hi folks! I just got back this morning. I have a lot to catch up on and I'll slowly make my rounds to visit your blogs. Meanwhile, what is Rojak Roast Chicken? Trust Louiz to come up with something so delicious with a funny name. What she meant by rojak is that her marinade is made up of anything available on her kitchen counter and she tosses any vegetable from her fridge into the roast. Very practical and sensible isn't it?



I got to know Louiz from her funny comments on my cousin's blog Small Kuching (Paparazzi is my cousin). Out of curiosity, I visited Louiz and had a great time reading her very entertaining posts. This girl has loads of humor! 


Before roasting. I put pieces of butter on top of the chicken just like Louiz. It turned out awesome!

This year 2014 is the year I start my Atkins eating plan all over again. In 2011 and 2012, I started Atkins and lost 15lbs. I could fit into my "skinny" pants and could buy regular sized clothes (read L or if I am lucky M). But in 2013, I sort of went haywire and started to binge of junk food. Twisties, Doritos, Mr Potato, Chipster, you name it, I ate it. I also stopped exercising regularly and as expected, nature took its course and I regained the 15lbs and more :( To make matters worse, I suffered a slipped disc in August 2013 and could hardly move for more than 2 months. So now, I focus on proteins and vegetables. Carbohydrates will have to take a back seat for the moment.


After roasting. Love the color and the taste!

Every once in a while, I like to try my blogger friends' recipes, particularly something that they invented themselves. Since these are their own creations with no formal name, I will name these recipes after them. For example Queenie's Sweet and Spicy Roast Chicken. Louiz's is another one I tried and am sharing here.



The marinade for this dish is taken from this post because I did not have lemons, carrots and God forbid, I am not eating potatoes. And as Louiz said, you can't go wrong with roast chicken even if it's seasoned with just salt and pepper. She is right as I this rojak roast chicken is totally delicious! 


I would never have thought of mixing just tomato sauce with oyster sauce as a marinade. It is obviously not something sophisticated but it is perfect for simple everyday home cooking. I love this style of cooking as I have no talent for the artsy fartsy stuff. This roast chicken was made on New Year's day and I had it with just a salad. It would have been great to have rice as the pan juices would have flavored the rice beautifully.



To anybody who says that they can't cook, you go do this and wow yourself. And go ahead and experiment with your marinades and you could have created you own signature rojak roast chicken!








Louiz's Rojak Roast Chicken
Recipe source : Adapted from Breathe a little...Slow down...

Ingredients :
- Half a chicken, chopped into 4 pieces
- 1 big onion, sliced
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 4 yellow mini peppers, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 4 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon oil
- some butter (optional)

Method :
1. Combine oyster sauce, tomato sauce,garlic and oil.
2. Pour marinade onto chicken pieces and mix to coat evenly. Leave to marinade in the fridge for 4 hours or overnight.
3. Prepare a lined baking tray.
4. Arrange onions and peppers on the baking  tray.
5. Then put chicken pieces on top of the vegetables.
6. If you like, put a few small pieces of butter on the chicken for added flavor.
7. Roast at 180C for 40-50 minutes or until chicken is browned and cooked through.


44 comments:

  1. Hello Phong Hong, you are back! Faster tell where have you been.
    I was very surprised to see the title of your post, I have to read right away, haha!
    Oohh, NOW only I know, papa kucing is your cousin, okok, now I know :)

    Yep, the roast chicken is a simple recipe, with simple marinade.. No canggih pounded stuff.. Just anything you can grab from the kitchen counter while attending to two cranky babies at the same time.. Oyster sauce, tomato sauce, soya sauce, Lea & Perrins, you can use almost anything.. Can never go wrong..

    Psst, since we are talking about roast chicken, have you roasted a chicken with just 2 (TWO) ingredients? I have.
    Here goes:
    1) Kikkoman
    2) (McCormick's) Italian Herbs
    People commented it taste like Kenny Roger's chicken (minus the starchy brown gravy of course).
    You have to try it yourself to see if it's true :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Louiz! Your roast chicken rocks! Oh yah, I am surely going to try your two ingredient roast chicken. Will have to do that after CNY as I am going back to KT in just a few days time :)

      Delete
  2. My god!! Phong Hong this chicken dish of yours looks so yum-yum-yum so very delicious only wish I can eat it now .my mouth is watering now titek-titek l think it can even fill one bucket full .Must give this dish a try your salad also looks so delicious. l think if l eat like that l will lose weight no carbo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EE, please try the chicken because it is very, very good. Your Emily and Yang Yang would love it too. Must cook more!

      Delete
  3. Your rojak dish sounds great - and I like the idea of just using any leftovers from the fridge for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yen, the word "rojak" gets my attention everytime. This roast chicken was unbelievably good. Am doing it again tomorrow :)

      Delete
  4. Hi Phong Hong...

    Wah this type of campak-campak resepi, I like!! But then again, if I were to roast chicken, will it look like yours when it's done? Hmmm must give it a try eh? Tapi Louiz's roasted her chicken with only 2 ingredients and she said it tasted like Kenny Roger's... wahhhh lagi siksa nyawa i tau!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MamaFaMi, try it, I guarantee it will come out smashing! Makan syiok-syiok sehingga menjilat jari :D

      Delete
  5. Hi Phong Hong
    Ive never heard of Rojak Roast Chicken but indeed Phong Hong makes the best Roast Chicken. As one blogger has said Roast Chicken = Phong Hong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mel! Thanks to Louiz I learnt about this very simple but exceptionally delicious roast chicken. When I first saw the word "Rojak" for roast chicken, I was very curious :)

      Delete
  6. Lol...yea this crazy (in a good way) Louiz really funny. Can talk about anything under the sky. Rojak roast chicken sounds good. Hmm. I wonder if throw in keropok lekor will be how ah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee..hee...this Louiz is very entertaining lah. Even the comments on her posts can make me laugh. Keropok lekor? Why don't you try and let me know? Hee..hee....

      Delete
  7. Hi Phong Hong, your rojak roast chicken sure look inviting and finger licking good. Thanks for sharing this interesting recipe.

    Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amelia, this is a yummy chicken with an attention catching name! Must try!

      Delete
  8. Finally you are back to blogging, PH. I was wondering what happened to you. Your roast chicken looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Veronica! I am glad to be back but am a bit slow in catching up. So many things to do before CNY. Don't even have time to bake cookies!

      Delete
  9. it's a nice and practical proposition to clean up the fridge and additionally to have good food:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ola, it is! I used to throw away odds and ends from the fridge. So wasteful!

      Delete
  10. Looks good. Your salad too! Hungry!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arthur, you should try this on your own. Very easy!

      Delete
  11. Love the idea of rojak chicken with leftover from the fridge as I don't like wasting food too . Looks really good , healthy & so colorful ! Sedap-sedap , nasi 2 pinggan sini ! :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kit, I wish I could have had nasi 2 pinggan with this chicken :D

      Delete
  12. Phong Hong, free and easy roast chicken. If you can find 5 colours in this dish, then it's healthy....hehehe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kimmy, I'll make sure next time I put 5 colors of vege in the pan!

      Delete
  13. I like rojak so I know I will like this, in fact I too have have roasted vegetables many times with chicken but never post them because they really looked like rojak lol! I should try this Atkins diet too, how long does it takes you to loose those 15lbs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeannie! If I remember correctly it took me something like 6-8 months. You have to remember that exercise plays an important part too. If not, the weight loss won't happen as fast as you would like. And don't be like me - maintain the diet once you reach your target weight or else you will come back to square one :(

      Delete
  14. CHICKEN!!!! Yum!! This looks SO good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathleen, I get excited over chicken too :)

      Delete
  15. can you give me some chicken please
    and also some Chinese new year cookies
    love Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emily, you have to kacau your Mah-Mah and ask her to roast the chicken and bake cookies for you!

      Delete
  16. Wow! Also would never have thought of mixing tomato sauce (such a western ingredient) with oyster sauce (such a Chinese ingredient) together as marinade. Genius! Both so rich in umami- definitely a flavour bomb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shu Han, this roast chicken really blew me away! Always great to learn new stuff from friends :)

      Delete
  17. Thank you for sharing. I think I will try ...sounds interesting to me and looks yummy too :)
    Wish you and love ones a "Happy & Prosperous Chinese New Year"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Iriene! This is a super delicious chicken and you must try it! Wishing you Gong Xi Fa Cai too :)

      Delete
  18. Your roast chicken dish makes me very hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Phong Hong, this is my third try to comment on your blog since yesterday! I kept getting ERROR msgs. from Blogger each time...now, I'm trying again!

    So good to have you back; I really missed you. You did not mention where in the U.S. you were staying. I really and truly love your Rojak roasted chicken with the veggies roasted, as well. The colors just pop out, and the fragrant aroma is enough to make me drool. The salad looks so delicious, light and very refreshing. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elisabeth! It is really so sweet of you to keep trying! This very simple Asian style roast chicken really pops and I believe you will like it a lot!

      Delete
  20. All right!!! I see the comment went thru...good thing I never run out of words to say, each of the three times I left a long comment yesterday, and I got so frustrated cause Blogger kept telling me it's an ERROR, and to try again in a few minutes...but of course my comment was wiped out each time. BTW, I checked out your cousin's blog; curious to find out the KUCING meaning, which means 'kitten'...so cute! Hers is mostly a 'mommy' blog, but very sweet...'comfy/cozy'...which is a term I use to emphasize 'warm', 'cuddly', 'sweet'...and so on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elisabeth, sorry that Blogger caused you so much headache :( They have driven me up the wall a few times too! Yeah, my cousin's blog revolves around the cute "kitten" and I enjoy following their adventures especially on food :) Thank you so much for your support and you always have such lovely things to say. You really make my day, Elisabeth!

      Delete
  21. at first i thought really a kind of rojak sauce or wat...LOL! next time share with us your ongoing experience with atkins diet yaa :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lena, one fine day I am going to try rojak ayam! Sure, I will be happy to share my Atkins experience :)

      Delete