Monday 3 April 2017

My Turkish Pizza Went To Hell


Last week, I was thinking of the Turkish Pide I made last year. That's it! That would be my weekend project.

But I have not worked with bread dough for  a very long time and I messed up. The dough was very sticky (too much water) and I was very fed up :(

To hell with the pizza, I thought. It was a very hot afternoon and in a fit of anger (I was hormonal. Hah!), I threw away the dough. 


Then I put the filling (which I cooked the evening before) into the freezer. As I was washing up my mixing bowl, I suddenly remembered that I had some wraps in the freezer. Hmmm...why not use the wraps as my pizza base?


I took two wraps out to defrost slightly and topped them with the filling. Then I put some pizza cheese on top and baked the wraps in the oven at 180C for 10 minutes.


Wah! My alternative pizza turned out so well. The edges of the warps were nicely browned and crispy. 


It may not be a conventional pizza but it suits me fine. If you like thin crust pizza, wraps work beautifully.

Wraps Base Pizza
Recipe source : Phong Hong in a fit of desperation

For the filling (this amount makes more than enough for two pizzas using wraps as base) :
- 250g minced beef
- 1/2 green capsicum, finely diced
- 1/2 red capsicum, finely diced
- 1 big onion, finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp tomato paste

For the base :
- I used 2 Mission wraps

Method :
1. Heat oil in pan and saute garlic and onions until aromatic and onions become translucent.
2. Add minced beef and continue to cook until meat changes color.
3. Add cumin, smoked paprika, black pepper and salt. Stir.
4. Add diced capsicum and tomato paste and cook until mixture is fairly dry but still moist (add some water if necessary). 
5. Dish out and leave to cool.
6. To make the pizza, spread enough filling onto the wrap leaving a border around the edge.
7. Top with grated cheese and bake in the oven at 180C for 10 minutes or more until wrap is browned around the edges of the wraps become brown.

34 comments:

  1. Your hormonal situation turned out to be a blessing in disguise:) - for you just invented a good quick pizza variation. I think that taste so much better than a pide ... looks like an upcoming fast food trend on the making!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hee..hee..thanks, Annie :) It was good. Thinking of having it again :)

      Delete
  2. now i find myself liking thin crust pizzas more than thick crust ones so yours will do just fine for me. previous post is zombie and this post is hell so what is for the next post? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to prefer thick crust but now prefer thin ones like you. heh..heh..I also wonder what is next :D

      Delete
  3. This looks easy to make and it looks delicious to me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very easy, just need to cook the filling.

      Delete
  4. Used to buy those wraps, not anymore. I wonder if there are any gluten-free ones available or not. For pizzas, we used to use those frozen roti canais, instead of the wraps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen those made with oats. Dunno if it is gluten-free. Hmm..I should try roti canai as a base for a curried pizza :)

      Delete
  5. Through your fit of anger and ingenious idea, you ended up making thin crust pizza pulak....good for you! ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very innovative indeed PH! So the weekend was not bad after all... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not bad at all because can eat pizza. LOL!

      Delete
  7. Wow! I must try this one because I'm not good at making pizza dough or whatever dough...hehe... Using wrap is a better option for me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm also quiet hopeless with bread, buns and such. So wraps to the rescue!

      Delete
  8. Hello, hello, hello!

    How are you, PH? Still love cooking and baking so much?

    Eh, just two months bertapa, I dah tanya soalan not so clever ^_^

    I tak rajinlah nak buat dough ni. Wraps are better choice for me walaupun I tak suka thin crust like this. But the best choice for me, of courselah beli sahaja ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello MD! Long time no see! I am good (when I am not in the office hah..hah..) and yes, still love cooking and baking though a little bit malas lately :( I agree, beli is the best solution hah..hah..

      Delete
  9. Yes, wraps work perfectly as thin crust pizza base. My mom does that all the time. She's like a pro wrap user these days...

    I should have thought of this when I still had those wraps in my fridge, meh...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I remember you mentioning your mum making wrap sandwiches or something. I like wraps a lot :)

      Delete
  10. Oh yes these non traditional kinda pizza in wrap taste good ^-^!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are so pandai and world class chef who can turn disasters into abundance happiness! It makes sense that wraps using flour can be pizza bases too. Thanks for teaching me this as I love crispy thin pizzas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's because I was so desperate for pizza so the idea came about. Not an original idea lah because other people have done it before.

      Delete
  12. I prefer wrap as pizza base rather than those pizza base that we can get from supermarkets because the outcome is crispier and thinner :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you. It's very crispy and I really like it.

      Delete
  13. Wah, look so sedapppp, wanna try lah, i dah lama tak buat pizza ni, my kids suka.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try lah ticer. Your budak2 mesti berebut2 makan pizza ni.

      Delete
  14. Haha..... masak ni mmg betul betul kena ikut mood ye LL. Kalau tak, susah nak jadi. I pernah buat jugak pizza LL. Once upon a timelah, tapi hihi....La ni dah malas. Yeast pun sure dah expired.

    Ohhh....nasib datang idea nak guna wraps..... kalau tidak filling tu sure dah jadi filling karipap haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah...karipap pulak, Hainom! PH tak reti buat karipap tau. Hajat hati nak buat, tapi malas lah nak uli2 tepung :(

      Delete
  15. Wow! Phong Hong, you came up with a great recipe! Ha ha I would love this and I am going to try this. Drooling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try it, Nancy. So simple and yet so good!

      Delete