Monday 27 November 2017

Cheddar Biscuits So Good I Ate Eight


After messing up my first batch of Cheddar Biscuits, I was determined to perfect it. After all, I still had slightly more than a cup of buttermilk left in the fridge.

I bought another packet of shredded cheddar cheese for this project and I had a good feeling about it. This time, I added slightly more butter and made sure that I did not pour all the buttermilk into the flour.

I also reduced the amount of salt to 1/2 teaspoon and substituted 2 teaspoons of honey with sugar. The reduction of salt was perfect as the cheddar cheese contributed to the saltiness and it was just nice.


See, this time I could even snap pictures of the unbaked biscuits as my dough was not wet and sticky. I managed to get a total of 16 biscuits. All 15 were nicely lined up, so the 16th biscuits sort of stuck out like a sore thumb.


I couldn't help running to the oven every now and then to check on my biscuits. After 15 minutes, the smell coming from the oven was wonderful. The biscuits were not well browned yet, so I left them to bake for a full 25 minutes.


Once they were out of the oven, I immediately brushed them with melted butter which had been mixed with crushed garlic and minced parsley.

I was a little impatient and bit into a hot biscuit. Whoohoo!! Crusty on the outside and tender on the inside, I now understand why people are so enamored with cheesy biscuits.


I placed the biscuits close together to bake because that was how it was done in Sally's Baking Addiction. I also noticed in other recipes, the biscuits are spaced out on the tray. I think, I will space them out next time so that all the edges of the biscuits are browned and crisp.

Now, may I tempt you?


I am not shy to admit that I stood there and ate 8 biscuits. I simply could not stop. Gone was that floury taste (from the first batch) and in its place was buttery cheesy goodness. 


Gah! I wanted to eat more (later) but I stopped myself and immediately put the remaining 8 biscuits into the freezer. Those are going to stay there until I fry me some buttermilk chicken. Hah!

Homemade Cheddar Biscuits
Recipe source : Sally's Baking Addiction
Note : I got me 16 biscuits using a 6.5cm cookie cutter

Ingredients :
- 300g self-raising flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
-1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 130g butter, cubed and cold (I cut the butter and then stored in the fridge for an hour)
- 200ml cold buttermilk (I initially measured out 250ml and used only 200ml, the remainder was used to brush the biscuits before baking)
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Topping (this makes more than enough) :
- 50g butter, melted
- 1 clove garlic, crushed using a garlic press (or you can mince it)
- 2 tbsp fresh Italian parsley, finely minced

Method :
1. In a mixing bowl, add flour, baking powder, garlic powder, sugar and salt. Using a whisk, mix everything together.
2. Add cubed butter and using two forks, cut the butter into the flour mixture to form coarse crumbs.
3. Add cheddar cheese and stir to combine.
4. Make a well in the center of the mixture and pour in buttermilk.
5. Using a spatula, fold the mixture and combine to form a crumbly mixture.
6. Pour the dough onto a floured worktop and using your hands, form the dough into a rectangle.
7. Fold one side of the rectangle into the center and do the same with the other side.
8. Form the dough into a rectangle again and repeat 3 times.
9. Then roll the dough with a rolling pin until it is about 1.5cm thick.
10. Using a round cookie cutter (mine is 6.5cm) cut circles into the dough (straight down, don't twist).
11. Lift each circle of dough and place on a lined baking tray (you can place them close together or spaced out) and brush the tops of the dough with the remaining buttermilk.
12. Bake for 25 minutes at 180C or until the tops are golden brown.
13. Once out of the oven, brush the biscuits with the melted butter topping. Enjoy!

24 comments:

  1. Look so so nice! You have my mailing address?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looked so good. So much better looking than your first attempt. ^^

    Bravo PH. You did it! Wish you could send some over for tasting though. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! They are too fragile to courier :)

      Delete
  3. Oh! Kalau PH makan 8, Amie tentu makan 12 ha ha haaa....huhuuu...!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aiyo, don't tempt me lah since you are not going to invite me or TM to taste this! Looks so good! Congrats on persevering and succeeding on getting these wonderful and delicious cheddar biscuits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I will definitely make these again. Not as difficult as I had initially thought.

      Delete
  5. Oh wow, send me some, won't you? xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. cuz, check out brazillian cheese balls....i think you will like them

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Phong Hong, these look so nice and good-leh!. Would love to grab them right away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kimmy! They were delicious. Not good for my diet hee..hee..

      Delete
  8. To me, this looked no different from your first batch...haha...except probably the taste (as vouched by you). Looking at the long instruction list on how to make them, I think I'll just stick to eating these biscuits outside...hehe! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the look is the same but the taste was much much better. As always, eating outside is a lot more convenient. No need to deal with the dough and all the washing up!

      Delete
  9. Congrats on your success! So tempting your cheddar cheese biscuits!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's my style. I get hooked on something and can't stop!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tengok gambar cantik mcm ni, tak payah rasa mmg dah tau sedaplah LL....
    Apasal rajin sangat you ni LL. Tak mo kawanlah haha...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah..jangan lah cam tu, Hainom...

      Delete
  12. Ok you successfully tempted me and make me drooling over the PC monitor ~>_<~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah..quite easy to make actually. Can try!

      Delete