Thursday 23 November 2017

Madam, Your Char Koay Teow Very Nice!


It was another evening at Madam Kwan's. Yes, my partner and I have revisited a few times.

On one of our visits I gave the Nasi Bojari another chance and may I say that I was so glad I did. Now I understand the allure of Madam Kwan's signature dish. A vast improvement to the one I had earlier.


While waiting for our food, my partner and I had another debate on the rose. Real or fake? So the poor rose was molested (petals and leaves rubbed) and yet we could not tell. So my partner asked me to check the stem and yes, there were thorns, so this had to be real. Haiz...like got nothing better to do.


My partner could not decide what to eat, so he settled for the fried rice (which he had before). I tasted a bit and it was very good but a little salty. I love the smokey aroma which I can never replicate at home.

There were sliced chilies in the fried rice and he painstakingly did this before eating.


My Char Koay Teow did not arrive until 10 minutes later. But it was worth the wait.


This to me was excellent. They were very generous with the prawns too and it was a substantial serving. The price was  also substantial hah..hah...


As usual, I sapu my partner's chilies including the ones he isolated on his plate. 


We ordered only one drink, the Barley Lime. Very refreshing and slightly sweet. The reason for only one drink was this.


The Ais Campur@Ais Kacang. We had been dreaming of this since seeing it served to other customers on our earlier visit.


The ice shavings is quite coarse and surprisingly it was not too sweet. My partner commented that the ice kacang in Penang tastes better. I am sure of that even though I have yet to have ice kacang in Penang. This was was not remarkable.


There was not much liew in the ice kacang. Just a few bits of red beans, cendol, strips of cincau, one attap chee (which my partner showed me through his teeth hah..hah..) and bits of cashew nuts.

I spied a customer sitting behind my partner having cendol (I want!) and not only that, the couple sitting beside us ordered the rojak with soft shell crab (I also want!!). My eyes are so naughty. So I guess, we will be coming back to Madam Kwan's, won't we? 

30 comments:

  1. CKT looks good. How much was that? Lorong Selamat one in Penang RM10 now, was RM8 some years ago. Long wait too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It cost RM22++ I know, faint inducing >.<

      Delete
  2. Good that you are open minded to give this eatery another chance for their nasi bojari. I must say their CKT looks very tasty but then the price must be quite high too I guess. In fact, I think most, if not all of their food taste good. If my pocket can afford it, I would eat there regularly too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The price as to be expected is high, so cannot eat every week.

      Delete
  3. Hi Phong Hong, your partner's comments are rather close to my hubby's. Cos' both are Penangites. Sometimes, I tak boleh tahan my hubby's comments, hahaha!.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kimmy! hah..hah... Penang lang everything from Penang also is the best!

      Delete
  4. seen so delicous..huhu

    Ketahui apa petua terbaik untuk merawat keputihan di kalangan wanita

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've a weakness for char kway teow & like to have lots of lard! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, glad to know! I also love the lard LOL!

      Delete
  6. I like eating there too.. the nasi lemak with fried chicken is very nice too.. but the prices are also beautiful.. hahahaa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Yes, cannot eat there too often unless strike lottery.

      Delete
  7. Lol. Poor rose!!

    Love both fried rice and kway teow. I am undecided on which one to order myself. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One for hubby, one for you and can exchange half half. LOL!

      Delete
  8. When I first saw your post title, I thought you cooked CKT and your partner said, "Madam, your CKT very nice!" Wuahahahaha! Your eyes are indeed naughty...but not for looking at other men...but for looking at what people are ordering...wakakakaka! :D Yes, I like both their CKT and fried rice too...coz they have "wok hei". The fried rice is slightly salty coz it's fried with bits of salted fish (and now I see silver ikan bilis too which will add on to the saltiness). But the prices (more than RM20) for this simple street food drive me the other way.

    Since you'll be returning to Madam Kwan's, I suggest you try the Sago Gula Melaka which, to me, is their best dessert. Aiyo, why violate the poor rose...just do the smell test! ;) Only real flowers have scent lah...hehe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only I can fry koay teow like that hah..hah... Oh yes, I remember the sago gula melaka that you enjoyed. That is on my list too. You know, that rose got no smell hah..hah.. Maybe too many people have been sniffing at it :D

      Delete
  9. Makkk aiii, rm28. Tapi berbaloi kot..

    ReplyDelete
  10. The CKT looks good but can only eat once in a while :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got that right! If eat too often, stomach fat and pocket thin. LOL!

      Delete
  11. I still haven't been there, but have an expat friends who swears by it as a good intro to Malaysian cuisine for foreign visitors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it's about time you headed out there!

      Delete
  12. We always loved to entertain foreign guests to eat at Madame Kwan's for its clean restaurant and excellent menu. Your partner must be talking about the world famous Swatow Lane Ice Kachang which is sold at the Great World Park food court. I started eating them since I was a toddler and every year the government sent their stall to the Penang Week's Fair in Adelaide - South Australia!!! You know what? They had to fly all their own fresh water from Penang to Adelaide to make ice blocks!! Now you know why Penang water makes good ice kachang and CKT dan lain lain lagi. Ask the Penang lang and they will tell you same thing. Hey, what do I get for blurting out this secrets??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wah, I must really try the ice kacang lah like that!

      Delete
  13. After reading your post and seeing all the photos, I also want! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Both CKT and fried rice seem like cooked with a lot of "wok hei", yum~~ I can't resist fried rice/noodles, make me drooling now >_<
    I never visit Madam Kuan, price range is a bit "premium" for me, haha :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, got wok hei and really delicious. Ya, I know, the price like hotel prices hah..hah...

      Delete
  15. Betullah mmg nampak nice sangat tu. Tang berkilat tu nampak menyelerakan sungguh tu. Nasi goreng pun...ah semualah senang cerita!. Aduhaiiii tetiba teringin nak makan kuey Teow goreng pulak ah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sedap ni, Hainom. Udang besar2 pulak. Tapi yang LL masak kat rumah, tak sedap macam dorang punya huhu...

      Delete